5.29.2005


Embracing randomness in Montreal (Rachel->Duluth->Prince-Arthur on St-Denis 3am)

Three purple tulips were stolen from a public park this Saturday. Blame Tequila.
Endless night walking, climbing trees and statues, being caught silly on camera, 2:00am chow-mien and 1$ pizza, stumbling upon bizarre art installations made me hug the city of Montreal with unparalleled love.
Today, free museum day has made me feel all feathery inside again. I was able to watch in awe at the last remaining William Kentridge installation at the MACM in light of the “Matters of Time and Space” exhibition. Their newest one, “Appearances”, is eclectically electrifying. It comprises the work of eleven young Québec and Canadian artists who offer a fragmentary portrait of today’s visual arts. There are lots of original works with sparks of sarcasm and a general aura of cautious optimism. Themes of bioethics, consumerism and appearances are served cold and packaged----as it would be expected from artists’ of our generation.
The Science Center was buzzing with people. The goofballs that we were shot paper planes at strangers’ heads. And after today's traumatizing defeat in a shark game that was obviously designed for four-year-olds, I have decided to stay in my fishbowl…forever.
And the time has finally come. The current canvas is my door. The great task of copying Beardsley’s Salomé onto the humble door of my projected new abode (starting September. ) has started. Right adjacent to Xue’s huge replica of Van Gogh’s Cafe Terrace at Night that she painted on her door. A contrast just the way I like them. I feel as giddy as a Japanese school girl.
Pardon my immaturity, but this weekend has given me a pleasant face lift.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

hmm you seem to visit my blog a lot, I should check yours out when I have time.

Do I know you?

4:41 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

HEY! You posted a link to my blog?? that's awesome thank you so much

4:42 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

wow you like sigismondi too

4:54 AM  
Blogger Y said...

Hey,
1/2. Rest assured, I will not tie you to a computer and force you to read this blog. No. I don't know you. at least, I'm not aware of it. But the world is small.
I am invisible to counters (*gasp*). People visiting my site must have felt the appeal of a title like "I must have an abstract". I linked you because you were the first blog I found when I blog-surfed for the first time. (what a collectioneur I am!) I stumbled on this entry and I was like Holy Fuck! Awesome. So I linked you. I should probably ask. I'm a rash person.
3. Yes.
4. Dear Lunettes Rouges, I caught you red handed. Why did you remove the post?
I was about to respond about your short passage on William Kentridge. I wrote an article for McGill Délit on him (when the William Kentridge exhibition was here in montreal). Funny thing is, we used almost the same words. O_o. Bizarre, non?
As for choosing a door, c'est une question de vie ou de mort! non, je blague. Si j'étais un homme, je me couvrirais les yeux et me fierais au hasard.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

you.....are awesome

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I did not remove my post ! Did Blogger censor me?
You obviously know Kentridge much better than me, I just saw a video at Beaubourg, but, yes, we finished with the same question, "l'engagement".
As for which door to choose, maybe, on the right, the drama has already taken place and St John is now dead (how do you say "mante religieuse" in English ?), while on the left, the ear has not yet been cut, nor has the gunshot been heard yet in the wheat fields with raven.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Y said...

~me?? awesome? you flatter me so!Thank you!

~um..Why would blogger censor such an innocuous post...I have serious reasons to believe that my blog is haunted now. First my settings mysteriously change, then my comments don't work and then comments disappear! The blogosphere is a scary place. I'm afraid. Very afraid.
Like for most tragic stories, it comes down to consumption or suicide. The rest is syphilis.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The revenge of John the Baptist?
Change your password and don't give it to anyone, maybe the ghosts will go away then

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home